Place:


Horsleydown  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horsleydown like this:

HORSLEYDOWN, a parish and a sub-district in Southwark-St. Olave district, Surrey. The parish forms part of the metropolis; lies on the Thames below London bridge, near London bridge r. station; and has a postal pillar box under London, SE. It was separated from St. Olave in 1732; it bears the name of H. ...


ST. John; and it includes a chapelry constituted in 1844, and called H. ST. Mark. Acres, 69 of land, and 25 of water. Real property, £49, 380. Pop. in 1861, 11, 393. Houses, 1, 445. Pop. of the part within H. St. Mark, 2, 920. Houses, 369. The living of St. John is a rectory, and that of St. Mark is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Winchester. Value of St. J., £350; of St. M., £130. Patron, of St. J., the Lord Chancellor; of St. M., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church of St. John was one of fifty new churches built about 1732; and it has the remarkable feature of a spire surmounted by an Ionic column. The district workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 327 inmates.-The subdistrict is conterminate with the parish.

The location is that of the parish of St John Horsleydown, as recorded in our boundary mapping.

Horsleydown through time

Horsleydown is now part of Southwark district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southwark has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horsleydown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horsleydown, in Southwark and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20817

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horsleydown ".