Place:


Islandshire  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Islandshire like this:

ISLANDSHIRE, a sub-district and a hundred in Northumberland. The sub-district is in Berwick district, and contains the parishes of Kyloe, Holy-Island, and Ancroft. Acres, 26, 791. Pop., 4, 052. Houses, 727.-The hundred includes all the sub-district, also the Fern Islands, and parts of the parishes of Tweedmouth and Belford; and, previous to the annexations of detached tracts by the act of 7 and 8 Vict. c. 61, it belonged to Durham. Acres, 33, 776. Pop., 4, 980. Houses, 908.

Islandshire through time

Islandshire is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Islandshire itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Islandshire, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20811

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Islandshire ".