Place:


Gartree  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gartree like this:

GARTREE, a wapentake in the parts of Lindsey, in Lincoln; nearly in the centre of the county, bounded on the E by the river Witham, and divided into two parts, N and S. The N div. contains Asterby parish and twelve other parishes. Acres, 22, 741. Pop. in 1851, 3, 909. Houses, 769. The S div. contains Bucknall parish and sixteen other parishes. Acres, 32, 425. Pop. in 1851, 4, 556. Houses, 898. Pop. of the whole in 1861, 8, 479. Houses, 1, 744.

Gartree through time

Gartree is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gartree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gartree, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20759

Date accessed: 26th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gartree ".