Place:


Canonbury  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canonbury like this:

CANONBURY, an ancient manor in Islington, 2 miles N of St. Paul's, London. It belonged, at the Conquest, to Ralph de Berners; was given by him to the priory of St. Bartholomew; went, at the dissolution, to Lord Cromwell, afterwards Earl of Essex; and passed to successively the Earl of Warwick, Sir John Spencer, and Lord Compton, ancestor of the Marquis of Northampton. ...


Canonbury House on it was built about 1362, as a mansion of the priors of St. Bartholomew; and Canonbury Tower, 17 feet square and 58 feet high, was add ed to the house either by Bolton the last prior, or by Sir John Spencer. Newberry, the bookseller, Smart, the poet, Chambers, the cyclopædist, and Oliver Goldsmith had apartments in the tower; and the last is said to have written here his "Vicar of Wakefield." Much of the manor is now built upon; and two suites of buildings on it are called Canonbury-square and Canonbury-grove.

Canonbury through time

Canonbury is now part of Islington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Islington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canonbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canonbury, in Islington and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20697

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Canonbury ".