Blackwall  Middlesex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackwall like this:

BLACKWALL, a hamlet in Poplar parish and Tower Hamlets borough, Middlesex; on the Thames, at the influx of the Lea, 4½ miles E of St. Paul's. A railway goes to it from Fenchurch-street; is 4 miles long; runs 4,464 yards on viaduct; has stations at Chadwell Stepney, Limehouse, the West India docks, and Popular; and sends off a junction line, through Bow common, to the Eastern Counties railway. ...

Blackwall contains the West India docks, opened in 1802, the East India docks, opened in 1803, and the Brunswick wharf for packets, opened in 1840,-all splendid works, replete with interest; and It carries on a vast amount of iron ship-building, amid accompaniments which strike a stranger with astonishment. The Blackwall reach of the Thames, extending down the E side of the Isle of Dogs to the mouth of the Lea, has a depth of from 13 to 23 feet; and is encumbered with a shelf in the upper part, with shoals off the West India docks and at Leaness, and with one or two shifting shoals. See London.

Blackwall through time

Blackwall is now part of Tower Hamlets district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tower Hamlets has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackwall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackwall, in Tower Hamlets and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackwall ".