Place:


Bishopton  Renfrewshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bishopton like this:

Bishopton, a village, an estate, and a range of hills, in Erskine parish, Renfrewshire. The village stands 1 mile S of the Clyde, and has a station on the Glasgow and Greenock section of the Caledonian railway, 5 miles NNW of Paisley; at it are a Free church, 2 inns, and a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. ...


Pop. (1861) 341, (1871) 323, (1881) 308.-The estate belonged, from 1332 and earlier, till about 1671, to the family of Brisbane, passed through a number of hands, and is now the property of Lord Blantyre.-The hill range divides the banks of the Clyde from the lowlands of Gryfesdale; consists of compact trap rock, and is pierced by a tunnel of the Glasgow and Greenock railway. The tunnel is approached, at the two ends, by deep rock cuttings, respectively 748 and 946 yards long; consists of two reaches, respectively 320 and 340 yards long; and has, between these reaches, an open part 100 yards long, and 70 feet deep. The formation of this subterranean pas sage was a long and difficult process, engaging hundreds of workmen for years, and costing for gunpowder alone no less than about £12, 000.

Bishopton through time

Bishopton is now part of Renfrewshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Renfrewshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopton in Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20673

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishopton ".