Place:


Aviemore  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Aviemore like this:

Aviemore (Gael. abh-mor, ` great water '), a station on the Highland railway in Duthil parish, E Invernessshire, near the left bank of the Spey and at the base of Craigellachie, 12½ miles SW of Grantown. Here is a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments; and 3 furlongs to the N is Aviemore House.

Aviemore through time

Aviemore is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aviemore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aviemore, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20658

Date accessed: 26th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aviemore ".