Place:


Attercliffe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Attercliffe like this:

ATTERCLIFFE, a chapelry, a township, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Sheffield, W. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the Rotherham railway, the Tinsey canal, and the river Don, 1½ mile NE by E of Sheffield, and within that town's borough boundaries; and was constituted in 1847. ...


Rated property £7,306. Pop., 5,061. Houses, 1,059. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £180.* Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield. The church was built in 1826, at a cost of £12,800; and is in the later Gothic style. There are four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel built in 1868 at a cost of £4,700, a newsroom, two public schools, and charities £36.-The township is conjoined with Darnall; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Attercliffe, under Sheffield. Acres, 1,270. Real property, £15,412. Pop., 7,464. Houses, 1,554. The inhabitants are chiefly cutlers, mechanics, and colliers. Cast-steel was first made here; and cannel coal is mined. Attercliffe Hall is the seat of J. Milner, Esq. An abrupt precipice overhangs the Don, and probably gave name to the township. Archbishop Secker was educated at Attercliffe dissenting academy.-The subdistrict is conterminate With the township.

Attercliffe through time

Attercliffe is now part of Sheffield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sheffield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Attercliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Attercliffe, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20651

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Attercliffe ".