Place:


Attenborough  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Attenborough like this:

ATTENBOROUGH, a village and a parish in the district of Shardlow and county of Nottingham. The village stands at the confluence of the Erwash and the Trent, adjacent to the Nottingham railway, 1½ mile NE of Long-Eaton junction, and 5 SW of Nottingham. The parish comprehends the township of Toton and the hamlet of Chilwell; the latter of which has a post office under Nottingham. ...


Acres, 2,843. Real property, £8,507. Pop., 1,110. Houses, 240. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Bramcote, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £250.* Patron, G. S. Foljambe, Esq. The church is large and good. Charities, £19. Henry Ireton, the son-in-law of Oliver Cromwell, was a native.

Attenborough through time

Attenborough is now part of Broxtowe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broxtowe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Attenborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Attenborough, in Broxtowe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20650

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Attenborough ".