Place:


Netherfield  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Netherfield like this:

NETHERFIELD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Battle parish, Sussex. The hamlet lies 3¼ miles W N W of Battle r. station, and has a post-office under Battle. The chapelry was constituted in 1862. Pop., about 500. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £119.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. ...


The church was built in 1860, after designs by S. S. Teulon; is abeautiful edifice; has a very fine carved stone and marblereredos; has also four painted windows in the chancel, the E one of which is a memorial window; and, together with parsonage and schools, was erected and endowed by Lady Webster, in memory of her deceased husband Sir God frey Webster, Bart.

Netherfield through time

Netherfield is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Netherfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Netherfield, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20594

Date accessed: 19th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Netherfield ".