Place:


Bitterley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bitterley like this:

BITTERLEY, a township and a parish in Ludlow district, Salop. The township lies under the Clee hills, 4 miles NE of Ludlow; and is connected by railway with Ludlow station. The parish includes also the townships of Cleeton, Hill-upon-Cott, Middleton, and Snitton, with parts of Henley and Hopton; and its Post Town is Ludlow. ...


Acres, 6,591. Real property, £7,872. Pop., 972. Houses, 189. The property is divided among a few. The Clee hills here exhibit grand scenery, command noble views, and contain abundance of coal and ironstone. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Middleton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £555.* Patron, the Rev.Walcot. The church contains a carved oak pulpit, a carved oak screen, and an ancient stone font; and is in tolerable condition. A stone cross, with graduated pedestal, and hexagonal shaft, crowned by tabernacled niches, is in the churchyard. A grammar school has £34, and other charities £26.

Bitterley through time

Bitterley is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bitterley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bitterley in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2054

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bitterley ".