Place:


Gilmerton  Midlothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Gilmerton like this:

Gilmerton.-- quoad sacra par. and vil. with ry. sta., Liberton par., in co. and 4 miles SE. of Edinburgh by road and 8½ miles by rail -- par., pop. 1330; vil., pop. 1082; P.O.; coal and ironstone are mined; Gilmerton Cave, at the vil., was hewn (1719-1724) out of the solid sandstone rock, and used as a forge and dwelling-place, by a blacksmith named George Paterson; in vicinity of vil. is Gilmerton House.

Gilmerton through time

Gilmerton is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gilmerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gilmerton, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20512

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gilmerton".