Place:


Colinton  Midlothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Colinton like this:

Colinton, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 4 miles SW. of Edinburgh, on Water of Leith, 5640 ac., pop. 4347; P.O., T.O.; has numerous corn and paper mills on Water of Leith, and a bleachfield at Inglis Green. A little NE. of sta. is Colinton House.

Colinton through time

Colinton is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colinton, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20508

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colinton ".