Place:


Broughty Ferry  Angus

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Broughty Ferry like this:

Broughty Ferry, quoad sacra par. and town, Dundee and Monifieth pars., Forfarshire, on Firth of Tay, 3½ m. E. of Dundee by rail -- quoad sacra par., pop. 5559; town, pop. 7923; 2 Banks; a ferry across the Firth of Tay, with ry. sta. at Broughty Pier, connects the town with Ferry-Port-on-Craig, commonly called Tayport. Fishing is carried on. Broughty Castle (15th century) stands on the shore. To the NW. of the town are numerous fine residences belonging to Dundee merchants and manufacturers.

Broughty Ferry through time

Broughty Ferry is now part of Dundee district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dundee has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughty Ferry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughty Ferry, in Dundee and Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20506

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broughty Ferry ".