Place:


Wymering  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wymering like this:

WYMERING, a parish in Fareham district, Hants; on the NE side of Portsmouth harbour, around Cosham r. station, and 4 miles N by E of Portsmouth. It contains part of Cosham village, which has a head post-office, part of Potwell village, and all Hillsea hamlet, which has a post-office under Cosham; and it includes Portcreek, Paulsgrove, Portsdown, and Great Horsea and Little Horsea islets. ...


Acres, 4,307; of which 762 are water. Real property, £5,954. Pop. in 1851, 751; in 1861, 1,071. Houses, 146. The property is subdivided. Artillery barracks, built in 1854, are at Hillsea; and strong lines of fortification extend along the N of Portsea island, and recently were greatly strengthened. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Widley. The church was restored in 1862. There are national schools, a chapel connected with them, an Augustinian priory, a convent, and alms houses.

Wymering through time

Wymering is now part of Portsmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Portsmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wymering itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wymering, in Portsmouth and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20502

Date accessed: 03rd April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wymering ".