Place:


Sutton St Nicholas  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton St Nicholas like this:

SUTTON-ST. NICHOLAS, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; 1½ mile SE of Moreton r. station, and 3¾ NNE of Hereford. Post town, Hereford-Acres, 721. Pop., 251. Houses, 47. A well-preserved Roman camp is here; and became, in the Saxon times, the site of a royal palace. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £195.* Patron, J. Johnston, Esq.

Sutton St Nicholas through time

Sutton St Nicholas is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton St Nicholas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton St Nicholas in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20463

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton St Nicholas ".