Place:


Stapenhill  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stapenhill like this:

STAPENHILL, a township and a parish in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and county of Derby. The township is partly in Burton parish; lies on the river Trent, 1 mile SE of Burton r. station; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £5,180: of which £50 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1,111. Houses, 247. The parish includes the townships of Cauldwelland Stanton-with-Newhall, and comprises 4,620 acres. Pop. in 1851, 2,267; in 1861, 3,077. Houses, 625. The property is not much divided The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £373. Patron, the Marquis of Anglesey. The church was rebuilt in 1830, and is in the early English style. The p. curacy of Newhall is a separate benefice. There are two Wesleyan chapels and two national schools.

Stapenhill through time

Stapenhill is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stapenhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stapenhill, in East Staffordshire and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20455

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stapenhill ".