Place:


Shirehampton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirehampton like this:

SHIREHAMPTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Westbury-on-Trym parish, Gloucester; on the river Avon, and on the Bristol Port and Pier railway, 5 miles NW by W of Bristol. It has a r. station, a post-office under Bristol, two good inns, and a dispensary. Real property, £5,224. Pop. in 1851, 632; in 1861, 731. Houses, 145. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, the Incumbent of Westbury. The church is cruciform. There are a national school and several small charities.

Shirehampton through time

Shirehampton is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shirehampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirehampton, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20445

Date accessed: 01st December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shirehampton ".