Place:


St Michael on Wyre  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Michael on Wyre like this:

MICHAEL-ON-WYRE (ST.), a village and sub-district in Garstang district, and a parish partly also in Fylde and Preston districts, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Wyre, 3 miles W by N of Brock r. station, and 3½ SW of Garstang; is in the township of Upper Rawcliffewith-Tarnacre; and has a n eat stone bridge over the river.—The sub-district comprises the St. ...


Michael townships of Out-Rawcliffe, Upper-Rawcliffe-with-Tarnacre, Great Eccleston, and In skip-with-Sowerby, the Lancaster township of Myerscough, and the Garstang township of Bilsborrow. Acres, 1 5,965. Pop., 3,359. Houses, 638.-The parish, in addition to its four townships in the sub-district, contains the townships of Elswick and Wood-Plumpton. Post town, Garstang, Lancashire. Acres, 18,114; of which 180 are water. Real property, £29,570. Pop. in 1851,4,680; in 1861,4,509. Houses, 879. The property is much subdivided. The manors of Upper Rawcliffe and Inskip belong to the Earl of Derby; that of Out-Rawcliffe belongs to the representatives of the late R. W. France, Esq.; and that of Wood-Plumpton belongs to Birley, Esq. Rushcutting is largely carried on in Great Eccleston; and tiles and drain-pipes are extensively made in Wood-Plumpton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £580.* Patron, the Rev. W. Hornby. The church is of the time of Henry VIII.; succeeded an ancient one, supposed to have been built about 640; comprises nave and aisles, with battlemented tower; and includes a N oratory, formerly the mortuary chapel of the Butler family. The chapelries of Cop or Great Eccleston, Out-Rawcliffe, Inskip, and Wood-Plumpton are separate benefices. There are, in the several townships, a Baptist chapel, three Wesleyan chapels, two Primitive Methodist chapels, two Roman Catholic chapels, two endowed schools and three national schools. There are also, in Wood-Plumpton, a police station and a small workhouse.

St Michael on Wyre through time

St Michael on Wyre is now part of Wyre district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Michael on Wyre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Michael on Wyre, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20430

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Michael on Wyre ".