Place:


Penmorfa  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penmorfa like this:

PENMORFA, a village and a parish in the district of Festiniog and county of Carnarvon. The village stands 1 mile W of Tremadoc, and 2 W N W of Portmadoc r.station; and has fairs on 14 May, 10 Aug., 15 Sept., and 11 Nov. The parish comprises 10, 157 acres. Post-town, Tremadoc, under Carnarvon. Real property, £3, 225; of which £20 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 1, 104. Houses, 256. The property is subdivided. Much of the area is upland and waste. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Dolbenmaen, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £290.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is good, and contains monuments to Sir John Owen and Sir Joseph Hubbert. There are a Baptist chapel, three Calvinistic Methodist chapels, and charities £7.

Penmorfa through time

Penmorfa is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penmorfa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penmorfa, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20400

Date accessed: 23rd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penmorfa ".