Pembroke Dock  Pembrokeshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pembroke Dock like this:

PEMBROKE-DOCK, a sea-port town and a chapelry in Pembroke, St. Mary parish, Pembrokeshire. The town stands on a branch of Milford-haven, at the W terminus of the Pembroke and Tenby railway, opposite New Milford, and 2 miles N W of Pembroke; was formerly called Pater; became a place of government dockyards, in 1814, in lieu of Milford-Haven; includes an area of 88 acres, surrounded by a high wall, with two flanking martellotowers, with a sea frontage of nearly ½ a mile, and withtwelve building slips for ships of all sizes, under iron-roofed sheds; has also a dry dock for first-rate ships, a fort mounting 24 guns, large barracks defended by bastions and a fosse, and a hut encampment and a jettyat Hobbs-Point; carries on considerable trade with Ireland and America; is the point of regular steam communication with Waterford; and has a head post-office, ‡a railway station, a banking office, and two hotels. ...

The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Real property in 1860, £15, 326; of which £35 were in quarries, and £100 in gas-works. Pop. in 1861, 10, 190; of whom 1, 285were military, and 558 were persons on board vessels. Houses, 1, 353. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848.

Pembroke Dock through time

Pembroke Dock is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pembroke Dock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pembroke Dock in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pembroke Dock".