Place:


Newton Arlosh  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Arlosh like this:

NEWTON-ARLOSH, a village and a chapelry in Holme-Cultram parish, Cumberland. The village stands near Morecambe bay, Abbey r. station, and Abbeytown villages; was once a market-town; and has remains of a fortified church, built about 1303. The chapelry is conterminate with Holme-East-Waver township. Post-town, Abbeytown, under Carlisle. Real property, £4, 699. Pop., 526. Houses, 98. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £117.* Patron, the Vicar of Holme-Cultram.

Newton Arlosh through time

Newton Arlosh is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Arlosh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Arlosh, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20384

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Arlosh ".