Place:


Brookland  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brookland like this:

BROOKLAND, a parish in Romney-Marsh district, Kent; adjacent to the Ashford and Hastings railway, and near the Royal Military canal, 2¾ miles S by E of Appledore r. station, and 5½ W by N of New Romney. It has a post office under Folkestone, and a fair on 1 Aug. Acres, 1,833. Real property, £5,785. ...


Pop., 459. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £93. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is early English, and has a leaden, figured, Norman font; and the bell tower stands detached, and is constructed of timber. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Brookland through time

Brookland is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brookland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brookland, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2037

Date accessed: 19th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brookland".