Landport  Hampshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Landport like this:

LANDPORT, a suburb, two chapelries, and a sub-district in Portsea parish, Portsea Island district, Hants. The suburb adjoins Portsmouth on the NE; contains the terminus of the Southwestern, the South Coast, and the Portsmouth Direct railways; and has a post-office‡ under Portsmouth. It was formerly called Halfway-Houses; and it took that name from a public house, called the Halfway-House, on the spot now occupied by the Bed ford hotel. ...

It owed its origin to the docks and the military; it derives its prosperity and its main support from the same sources; it comprises numerous dense and dingy streets, occupied by the working classes; and it presents, as a whole, an appearance far from interesting to strangers; yet it contains, between Mile-End and Kingston-Cross, and along the main thoroughfare on the London road, many houses of a superior class. The railway terminus, constructed in 1866, is very handsome and commodious. A public hall, for local business and for public meetings, was built in 1861. A theatre is in the vicinity of the railway terminus, and the Sussex hotel stands close to the terminus. The Royal hospital stands on a site presented by the Board of Ordnance nearly opposite;. was founded in 1847, with grand ceremony, by the late Prince Consort; serves as an infirmary for Portsea, Portsmouth, and Gosport; is supported by subscriptions, donations, and bequests; and at the census of 1861, had. 66 inmates. All Saints church stands at Mile-End; was. built in 1827, at a cost of £12,000; is in the Saracenic style; and has a handsome stained E window, 23 feet by 15. St. Luke's church was built in 1864. A new large church, in Surrey-street, was built in 1866. Two Baptist chapels also were built in that year; the one at Mile-End, in the Lombardic style, at a cost of £2,000; the other at Lake-road, in a semi-classic style, at a cost of £3,500. There are also other dissenting chapels, new and very spacious schools belonging to St. Luke's, a Lancastrian school, and a female penitentiary.—The two. chapelries are All Saints and St. Luke; and the former was constituted in 1835, —the latter in 1864. Pop. of A. S. in 1861,18,478. Houses, 3,699. Pop. of St. L., 10,646. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Winchester. Value of A.-S., £301; of St. L., £300.* Patron of A. S., the Vicar of Portsea; of St. L., the Bishop of Winchester.—The sub-district contains also Southsea. Pop. in 1851,26,798; in 1861,14,426 Houses, 7,799.

Landport through time

Landport is now part of Portsmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Portsmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Landport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Landport, in Portsmouth and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 14th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Landport".