Place:


Kings Cross  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kings Cross like this:

KINGS-CROSS, a quondam hamlet and a chapelry in St. Pancras parish, Middlesex. The quondam hamlet is now part of the metropolis; lies between Pentonville and Somers-Town, 1¾ mile NW of St. Paul's; and contains the terminus of the Great Northern railway. The platform of that terminus is 800 feet long; has lofty roofs, 105 feet each in span; and exhibits a fine mixture of grandeur and simplicity. ...


The small pox hospital and an unpleasing statue of George IV. formerly were here.—The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Pop. in 1861, 8, 020. Houses, 914. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £200. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1861, at a cost of about £7, 000; was designed to have a central entrance tower, which then was completed only to the level of the roof; is in the decorated English style; and contains 1, 200 sittings.

Kings Cross through time

Kings Cross is now part of Camden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Camden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kings Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings Cross, in Camden and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20328

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kings Cross ".