Place:


Kimberworth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kimberworth like this:

KIMBERWORTH, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles WNW of Rotherham r. station; is a large place; and has a post office under Rotherham. The township contains also the hamlets of Blackburn, Bradgate, Hill-Top, Holmes, Jordan, Masbrough, Nether-Fold, Scholes, and part of Thorpe-Hesley; comprises 2, 940 acres; and is in Rotherham parish. ...


Real property, £72, 874; of which £1, 008 are in mines, £119 in quarries, £2, 960 in ironworks, £30, 000 in canals, and £12, 000 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 6, 952; in 1861, 10, 610. Houses, 2, 182. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Elsy; passed then, or soon afterwards, to Roger de Busle; and was, at that time, part of the honour of Pickhill. Grange Hall, about 2 miles W of the village, was formerly the seat of the Earl of Effingham. Ironstone was worked in forges, at Kimberworth, so early as 1161; continued to be worked, on apparently a a large scale, for generations afterwards; and was worked, at Tannocliffe or Thundercliffe, by the monks of Kirkstead, who had a handsome residence here for the accommodation of one of their number superintending their property. Coal is now worked; and a local railway goes from Holmes to the Greasbrough canal and coalfield.—The chapelry includes only a portion of the township, and was constituted in 1843. Pop. in 1861, 3, 848. Houses, 773. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £150. * Patron, the Vicar of Rotherham. The church was built in 1843; is a plain structure, in the pointed style; and was enlarged in 1865. There are, in the chapelry, a Wesleyan chapel and national schools; and, in other parts of the township, two other Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and a monument to Admiral Keppell.—The sub-district contains Kimberworth and Greasbrough townships and Rawmarsh parish. Acres, 7, 717. Pop., 17, 921. Houses, 3, 670.

Kimberworth through time

Kimberworth is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kimberworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kimberworth, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20325

Date accessed: 27th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kimberworth".