Place:


Hythe  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hythe like this:

HYTHE, a village and a chapelry in Fawley parish, Hants. The village stands on the W side of Southampton water, 2½ miles S of Southampton; has a post office ‡ under Southampton; and maintains almost hourly communication with that town by steamer. A high ground above it commands a beautiful and extensive view.—The chapelry was constituted in 1841. Pop., 654. Houses, 140. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £180. Patron, the Rector of Fawley. The church was built in 1823.

Hythe through time

Hythe is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hythe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hythe, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20314

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hythe".