Place:


Heigham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heigham like this:

HEIGHAM, or Higham, a parish Norwich district, Norfolk; in the W side of Norwich city. Real property, £36, 799. Pop. in 1851, 7, 745; in 1861, 13, 894. Houses, 3, 181. The increase of pop. arose from the removal hither of families from other parts of the city, and of Norwich workhouse from St. ...


Andrew's parish. Here also are the jail, a private lunatic asylum, and the girls' home. There are three livings, St. Bartholomew, Holy Trinity, and St. Philip; the latter two constituted in 1867; thefirst two rectories, the last a p. curacy, in the diocese of Norwich. Value of St. B., £300; * of H. T. £420; * of St. P., £200.* Patron of all, the Bishop of N. St. P. church was built in 1 868, and is in the early French style.

Heigham through time

Heigham is now part of Norwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Norwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heigham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heigham, in Norwich and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20305

Date accessed: 05th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heigham ".