Place:


Hadfield  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hadfield like this:

HADFIELD, a village and a township in Glossop parish, Derby. The village stands near the boundary with Cheshire, the river Etherow, and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 2 miles WNW of Glossop; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, jointly with Tintwistle, and a post office‡ under Manchester. ...


The township comprises 357 acres. Pop. in 1851, 1, 989; in 1861, 2, 722. Houses, 532. Hadfield Hall is an old seat of the Hadfields, and was built in 1646. There are several cotton mills, a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, and a national school. The Roman Catholic chapel was built partly with the aid of £5, 000 from Lord Edward Howard; and the national school is used as a chapel of ease.

Hadfield through time

Hadfield is now part of High Peak district. Click here for graphs and data of how High Peak has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hadfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hadfield, in High Peak and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20299

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hadfield".