Place:


Garve  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Garve like this:

Garve, a loch on the mutual border of Contin and Fodderty parishes, Ross-shire, ¾ mile SE of Garve station on the Dingwall and Skye railway, this station being 11¾ miles W by N of Dingwall, and having a post and railway telegraph office. Here also there is a good inn. Lying 220 feet above sea-level, the loch has an utmost length and breadth of 1½ and ½ mile, has finely wooded shores, is traversed by the Blackwater, and contains abundance of trout, running 2 or 3 to the lb.—Ord. Sur., sh. 83, 1881.

Garve through time

Garve is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garve itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garve, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20286

Date accessed: 26th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garve ".