Place:


Falstone  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Falstone like this:

FALSTONE, a village and a parish in Bellingham district, Northumberland. The village stands on the North Tyne river, adjacent to the Border Counties railway, 8 miles NW of Bellingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hexham. The parish includes the townships of Wellhaugh, Plashetts, and Tynehead. ...


Acres, 57, 600. Real property, £5, 621. Pop. in 1851, 562; in 1861, 1, 016. Houses, 141. The increase of population arose from the opening of the railway. The parish was formed out of Simonburn in 1811. The property is not much divided. The surface includes some valley-land, but is mainly moorish and mountainous. Game abounds; coal is plentiful; and there are several mineral springs. Numerous traces exist of strongholds of the ancient Britons; and there is a complete specimen of a border peel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £320.* Patrons, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church is good; and there is an English Presbyterian chapel. A man lived here in last century, who was born without hands or feet.

Falstone through time

Falstone is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Falstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Falstone, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20270

Date accessed: 26th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Falstone ".