Place:


Dodbrooke  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dodbrooke like this:

DODBROOKE, a small town and a parish in Kings-bridge district, Devon. The town forms the eastern part of Kingsbridge town; is more ancient than Kingsbridge; belonged to the widow of Edward the Confessor; contains Pindar-Lodge, the birth-place of Dr. Wolcott, better known as Peter Pindar; was the first place in which white ale was brewed; shares generally in the trade of Kingsbridge; and has a fair of its own on the Wednesday before Palm Sunday. ...


The parish comprises 464 acres; of which 105 are water. Post town, Kingsbridge. Real property, with Kingsbridge and Churstow, £12, 586. Rated property of D-alone, £1, 482. Pop., 1, 183. Houses, 238. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £183.* Patron, Rev. J. Dewing. The church is very old, but was not long ago repaired. Charities, £15.

Dodbrooke through time

Dodbrooke is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dodbrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dodbrooke, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20249

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dodbrooke".