Place:


Dalmuir  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dalmuir like this:

Dalmuir, a burn and a village in Old Kilpatrick parish, Dumbartonshire. The burn rises among the Kilpatrick Hills in Cochno and other head-streams, collecting which in the north-eastern vicinity of Duntocher it thence runs 2¼ miles south-westward to the Clyde. The village stands on the burn, 3 furlongs above its mouth, and 13/8 mile SE of Kilpatrick village, with a station on the Dumbarton section of the North British, 9¾ miles NW by W of Glasgow, under which it has a post office. ...


Near it are chemical works and the huge Clydebank shipbuilding yard and engineering works, which cover 30 acres, and employ 2000 men.

Dalmuir through time

Dalmuir is now part of West Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalmuir itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalmuir in West Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20245

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dalmuir ".