Place:


Chryston  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Chryston like this:

Chryston, a village and a quoad sacra parish in the E of Cadder parish, NW Lanarkshire. The village stands near the Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway, 1½ mile NE of Garnkirk station, 2½ miles ESE of Lenzie Junction, and 7 NE by E of Glasgow, under which it has a post office. ...


At it are an inn, a beautiful Established church (1878; 800 sittings) with a fine spire, a Free church (1853), and two burying-grounds, in one of which is a neat granite monument to a native of Chryston, the weaver-poet Walter Watson (1780-1854). A public school, with accommodation for 450 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 255, and a grant of £249,16s: 6d. The quoad sacra parish, constituted in 1834, and re-constituted in 1869, is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Pop. of village (1861) 582, (1871) 486, (1881) 464; of q. s. parish (1841) 2670, (1871) 3203, (1881) 3240.

Chryston through time

Chryston is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chryston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chryston in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20227

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chryston ".