Place:


Canning Town  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canning Town like this:

CANNING-TOWN, a chapelry in West Ham parish, Essex; adjacent to the Victoria docks and North Woolwich railway, 5½ miles E of London Bridge. It was constituted in 1866; and it has a post office‡ under London E. Living, a p. curacy.

The location is that of Canning Town station.

Canning Town through time

Canning Town is now part of Newham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canning Town itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canning Town, in Newham and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20220

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Canning Town ".