Place:


Braemar  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Braemar like this:

Braemar, a district, containing the village of Castleton, in the extreme SW of Aberdeenshire. It was anciently a parish, but has for centuries, though at what precise date is not known, been united to Crathie. It was originally called St Andrews; it afterwards got the name of Caenn-na-droehait, signifying ` Bridge-end; ' and about the end of the reign of Mary, when the parts of it around Castleton became the property of the Earl of Mar, it took the name of Braemar. ...


It adjoins its own county only on the E, and is surrounded, on the other sides, by Perth, Inverness, and Banff shires. Its boundaries with these counties are all watersheds of the Cairngorm Mountains, or central group of the Grampians. Its entire area is simply the alpine basin of the nascent Dee, cut into sections by the glens of that river's earliest affluents. It can be entered with wheeled carriages only by two roads-the one from the E up the Dee, the other from the S by the Spital of Glenshee; nor can it be entered even on foot with moderate ease by any other road except one from the W up Glen Tilt. The scenery of it is aggregately sublime-variously romantic, picturesque, and wild; and occurs to be noticed in our articles on the Cairngorms, the Dee, and the several chief glens and mountains. Old Braemar Castle is alleged to have been originally a hunting-seat of Malcolm Ceannmor; became a fortalice or feudal stronghold of the Earls of Mar; surmounted a rock on the E side of Cluny rivulet, adjacent to Castleton, from a drawbridge across the rivulet; took the name of Bridge-end, and gave that name to the district; and is now represented by only scanty remains. New Braemar Castle stands on a rising ground in Castleton haugh; was built, about the year 1720, by parties who had acquired the forfeited estates of the Earl of Mar; passed by purchase, about 1730, to Farquharson of Invercauld; and was leased to Government, about 1748, for the uses of a garrison. -The district ranked as a chapelry till 1879, when it was constituted a quoad sacra parish. It has, at Castleton, a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, under Aberdeen, 2 hotels, called the Invercauld Arms and the Fife Arms, an Established church, a Free church, St Margaret's Episcopal church (1880), St Andrew's Roman Catholic church (1839; 400 sittings), and a public school. The Established church was built in 1870, at a cost of £2212; is a cruciform edifice, in the Early English style; has a tower and spire 112 feet high; and serves for a population of less than 400. The minister of it has a manse, and receives £60 a-year from the Royal Bounty, and £45 from local revenue. The public school, with accommodation for 100 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 57, and a grant of £46,7s. See the Rev. Jas. M. Crombie's Bræmar, its Topography and -Natural Histories (1861,2d ed. 1875).

Braemar through time

Braemar is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Braemar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braemar in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20197

Date accessed: 26th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Braemar ".