Samford  Suffolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Samford like this:

SAMFORD, a district and a hundred in the S of Suffolk. The district comprehends the sub-district of Capel, St. Mary, containing the parishes of Capel, St. Mary, Holton, St. Mary, Raydon, Shelley, Higham, Stratford, St. Mary, East Bergholt, Great Wenham, Little Wenham, Copdock, Washbrook, Chattisham, Hintlesham, Burstall, and Sproughton; and the sub-district of Holbrook, containing the parishes of Holbrook, Stutton, Brantham, Harkstead, Erwarton, Shotley, Chelmondiston, Woolverstone, Freston, Tattingstone, Bentley, Belstead, and Wherstead. ...

Acres, 50, 230. Poor-rates in 1863, £5, 901. Pop., in 1851, 12, 493; in 1861, 12, 736. Houses, 2, 749. Marriages in 1863, 68; births, 399, of which 17 were illegitimate; deaths, 300, of which 104 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 858; births, 4, 113; deaths, 2, 469. The places of worship, in 1851, were 29 of the Church of England, with 6, 450sittings; 8 of Independents, with 1, 362 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 330 s.; 7 of Wesleyans, with 950 s.; and 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 244 s. The schools were 21 public day-schools, with 1, 176 scholars; 29 private day-schools, with 490 s.; 25 Sunday schools, with 1, 224 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 6 s. The work-house is in Tattingstone. The hundred is very nearlyidentical with the district.

Samford through time

Samford is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Samford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Samford, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 24th May 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Samford ".