Place:


Bathwick  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bathwick like this:

BATHWICK, a parish and a subdistrict in Somerset The parish lies on the left bank of the Avon, within the borough of Bath; and is intersected by the Kennet and Avon canal, and by the Great Western railway. Acres, 573. Real property, £43,868. Pop., 5,266. Houses, 836. At the beginning of last century, the parish contained only a few scattered houses, and was marshy; but now it contains some of the finest streets and decorations of Bath, including Great Pulteney-street, Laura place, and the Sydney gardens. ...


The living is a rectory, united with the curacy of Woolley, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £209. Patron, Lord W. Powlett. The church is in the decorated English style, with a tower 120 feet high; was built in 1829; and contains a monument to Mackinnon, who figured at Culloden. Laura chapel is a separate charge. There is a proprietary college, with about 100 pupils.-The subdistrict includes also other parishes beyond the borough. Acres, 3,452. Pop., 7,132. Houses, 1,201.

Bathwick through time

Bathwick is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bathwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bathwick in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20131

Date accessed: 20th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bathwick ".