Place:


Westmill  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westmill like this:

WESTMILL, a parish, with a village, in Royston district, Herts; on the Buntingford railway, 1½ mile S by E of Buntingford. It has a post-office under Buntingford, and a r. station. Acres, 2,137. Real property, £3,190. Pop., 353. Houses, 76. Coles Park and Knights Hill are chief residences. Two Roman cups were found in 1728. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £474. Patron, the Countess of Mexborough. The church is plain but good; and has a tower and spire. There is an endowed school with £29 a year.

Westmill through time

Westmill is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westmill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westmill in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2013

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westmill ".