Place:


St Augustine  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Augustine like this:

AUGUSTINE (St.), a lathe in Kent. It forms the eastern part of the county; measures 19 miles by 20; and contains the hundreds of Beaksbourne, Bewsborough, Bleangate, Bridge and Petham, Cornilo, Downhamford, Eastry, Kinghamford, Preston, Ringslow, Seasalter, Westgate, Whitstable, and Wingham. Acres, 172,494. Pop. in 1851, 73,146; in 1861, 66,143. Houses, 12,908.

St Augustine through time

St Augustine is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Augustine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Augustine, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20121

Date accessed: 18th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Augustine ".