Place:


Pennington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pennington like this:

PENNINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Wigan and Leigh canal, adjacent to the Bolton and Leigh railway; and contains part of the town of Leigh. Acres, 1, 437. Real property, £13, 666. Pop. in 1851, 4, 573; in 1861, 5,015. Houses, 1,000. ...


Pop. of the Leightown portion, in 1861, 4, 496. Houses, 901. The chapelry includes only a section of the township, and was constituted in 1846. Rated property, £8, 229. Pop. in 1861, 2, 803. Houses, 531. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1854, and is in the later English style.

Pennington through time

Pennington is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pennington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pennington, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20117

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pennington ".