Place:


Norton  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:

NORTON, a parish, with a village, in Hitchin district, Herts; adjacent to Beds, 1 mile W N W of Baldock r. station. Post-town, Baldock. Acres, 1, 780. Real property, £2, 385. Pop., 352. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. Pym, Esq. Norton Hall is the seat of J. ...


Smyth, Esq.; and Nortonbury, of E. Smyth, Esq. Wilbury Hill is on the boundary, 1½ mile S W of the village; istraversed by Icknield-street; and has remains of a Romancamp, where Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £75.* Patron, G. D. Wade, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. There is a free school.

Norton through time

Norton is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20115

Date accessed: 03rd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".