Place:


Seal  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seal like this:

SEAL, a township and a parish in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester. The township lies on the river Mease, 2¾ miles S S W of Moira r. station, and 5½ S W of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; bears the name of Nether and Over Seal; and contains the village of Nether Seal and the hamlet of Over Seal, each of which has a post-office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. ...


Real property, £8, 405. Pop. in 1851, 1,085; in 1861, 1, 246. Houses, 270. The parish contains also parts of Donisthorpe hamlet and Blackfordby chapelry. Acres, with the rest of Donisthorpe, but without the part of Blackfordby, 4, 890. Pop. in 1851, 1, 330; in 1861, 1, 576. Houses, 337. The manor, with Grangewood House, belongs to Capt. G. T. Mowbray. S. Hall is the residence of E. W. Robertson, Esq.; and S. Old Hall, of Admiral H. Bagot. A British camp was at Cadborough; and a barrow is near Dead Dane Bottom. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £950.* Patron, Sir T. Gresley, Bart. The church is early English. A chapel of ease is at Overseal, and was built in 1841. There are a Baptist chapel, two parochial schools, alms-houses with £104 a year, and other charities £14.

Seal through time

Seal is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seal, in South Derbyshire and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20109

Date accessed: 31st October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seal ".