Place:


Bulwell  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bulwell like this:

BULWELL, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Basford district, Notts. The village stands in Sherwood forest, adjacent to the Midland railway, 4 miles NNW of Nottingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Nottingham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hempshill. ...


Acres, 1,210. Real property, £6,732. Pop., 3,660. Houses, 785. The property is subdivided. Bulwell Hall is the seat of the Rev.Padley. Limestone is worked. Calico printing, lacemaking, stocking-making, brick-making, and malting are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £328.* Patron, the Rev.Padley. The church is new, and has a square tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A school has £18,-other charities, 13. The subdistrict contains five parishes. Acres, 8,264. Pop., 7,823. Houses, 1,671.

Bulwell through time

Bulwell is now part of Nottingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Nottingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bulwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bulwell, in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20067

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bulwell ".