Place:


Newnham  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newnham like this:

NEWNHAM, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands on a brook at the foot of high chalk hills, 1 mile E of the boundary with Beds, and 2½ N of Baldock r. station; and has a post-office under Baldock. The parish comprises 951 acres. Real property, £1, 379. Pop., 135. Houses, 27. The property belongs to J. R. Mills, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £97.* Patron, J. R. Mills, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There is a free school.

Newnham through time

Newnham is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newnham in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1998

Date accessed: 19th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newnham".