Place:


Crackenthorpe  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crackenthorpe like this:

CRACKENTHORPE, a township in Appleby-St. Michael parish, Westmoreland; on the Maiden w ay and the river Eden, 2 miles NW of Appleby. Acres, 1, 344. Real property, with Bampton, £3, 710. Pop., 130. Houses, 23. Crackenthorpe Hall was anciently the seat of the Machels; and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. Ruins of an ancient chapel are on Chapel-hill. Remains exist of a Roman camp, 900 feet by 450; and Roman urns and other relics have been found.

Crackenthorpe through time

Crackenthorpe is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crackenthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crackenthorpe, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1997

Date accessed: 28th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crackenthorpe ".