Place:


Bayford  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bayford like this:

BAYFORD, a parish in the district and county of Hertford; on the river Lea, near the Hatfield and Hartford railway, 3 miles SSW of Hertford. It has a post office under Hertford. Acres, 1,632. Real property, £2,138. Pop., 297. Houses, 61. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to Earl Tosti, the Dane; and passed afterwards to the Knightons, the Fanshaws, and the Bakers. ...


Bayfordbury, the present seat of the Bakers, contains the portraits of the Kit-Cat club, brought hither from Barnes-Elms. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; and till 1867 was annexed to Essendon. Value, £150. Patron, W. R. Baker, Esq. The church was built in 1802. There is a national school.

Bayford through time

Bayford is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bayford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bayford in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1978

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bayford ".