Place:


Aspenden  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aspenden like this:

ASPEDEN, a parish in Royston district, Herts; on the river Rib, 8 miles SE of Baldock r. station. It includes part of the Post Town of Buntingford. Acres, 1,351. Real property, £3,539. Pop., 577. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Cliffords, the Freemans, and the Jocelyns; and passed to Earl Hardwicke and the Bolderos. ...


Aspeden Hall and its park are a prominent feature. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £357.* Patron, the Countess of Mexborough. The church contains a curious monument to Sir Robert Clifford, master of the ordnance to Henry VIII., and other tombs and brasses; and is in good condition. An endowed school has £17 a year, and other charities £37.

Aspenden through time

Aspenden is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aspenden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aspenden in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1976

Date accessed: 29th March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aspenden ".