Place:


Eaton Bishop  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eaton Bishop like this:

EATON-BISHOP, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; near the river Wye and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 4½ miles W by S of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 2, 229. Real property, £4, 268. Pop., 465. Houses, 94. The property is divided chiefly among four. ...


Eaton-Bishop House is the seat of the Phillips family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £444.* Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church was reported in 1859 as very bad. Goff's charities here and elsewhere have £450; and other charities here have £31.

Eaton Bishop through time

Eaton Bishop is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eaton Bishop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eaton Bishop in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1950

Date accessed: 10th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eaton Bishop ".