Place:


Shute  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shute like this:

SHUTE, a parish in Axminster district, Devon; on the river Axe, near Colyton r. station, and 3 miles SW by W of Axminster. It contains the village of Whitford, which has a post-office under Axminster. Acres, 2,738. Real property, £4,398. Pop., 610. Houses, 128. The manor belonged anciently to the Shutes; passed to the Bonvilles, the Peters, and the Poles; and, with S. ...


House, belongs now to Sir J. G. R. De la Pole, Bart. S. Hill is crowned with an ancient beacon-house, and commands a good view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £250.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of E. The church is decorated and later English. There is a parochial school.

Shute through time

Shute is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shute itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shute in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1936

Date accessed: 03rd April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shute ".